Monday, August 07, 2006

5 things to be thankful for

Last night at church we were spending some time in groups talking about how we connect with God spiritually. Many suggestions were made and it was great to see all the different ways techniques that people used to connect with God. One, however, that stood out to me was process that one person used nightly. They would sit down each night and write on a piece of paper five things that they could be thankful for. This idea really struck a chord with me. It was simple, yet a profoundly insightful way of seeking the spiritual in our everyday experience. So, what are the five things that I was thankful for on Sunday?
  1. Friendship. Having people around you who care for you.
  2. Family. I had a phone call from my mum who I hadn't spoken to for a while. Great to hear from her.
  3. Spirituality through sport. I love riding, and it's a time that I spend in silence and a space where I meet with God through creation.
  4. My wife. She was away for the weekend and it was great to see her again on Sunday night.
  5. Conversations with my wife. She is such a deep and thoughtful person and I love talking with her and sharing our life together.

So there you go! My aim is to write five things I am thankful for each day of the week. However I definitely won't be blogging them all, I don't have time, but I thought that this was at least a good start.

1 Comments:

At 07 August, 2006 19:59 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sime,
I believe i'm in the lead for comments on your site. I was the one who read it out to the church, and the reason I chose to read it out because it was the most profound one to me as well. I really liked it, and I did it too. Except I did ten. Because I realised that there's much more than just five things to be thankful for, something that I could rejoice in when I feel like crap.

So yes, my ten:
1) Kelly, because she is so good to me
2) Church, the best community I've ever been part of
3) Healing skin, while it sucks that I have a problem, at least it's not as bad as other peoples, which leads on to...
4) Not living in poverty, unlike the millions who do
5) The chance to heal poverty, and share that chance with others
6) An education, something that others don't have, that has helped make me who I am today
7) Family, while we're going through rough times, and always will be, I am thankful I still have one
8) My brothers, because we don't always get along, but when we do it's good
9) School, because it's another community I love, and because it gives more than just academics
10) Club Sunday, a chance to share and give back to something that gave to me.

So there you go. Hopefully this isn't another one of those temporary inspirations for me.

Peace, Ben

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home