Tuesday, June 19, 2007

A candle in the darkness

I came across this little saying last night in a book I was reading: It is better to light a single candle than to curse in the darkness. Sometimes I feel like cursing in the darkness that I inhabit. Don't get me wrong, I am a white, middle-class, Tertiary educated, employed male, so I do realise how well I've got it, but sometimes the blackness seems to hard to overcome. I see so much pain, torment, hurt, grief, greed, callousness, and I wonder how can I, one person, make an impact. I am prone to cursing in the darkness. However, there are times, if only rarely, that I light a candle in the darkness of the world. Have you ever been in a room that is only illumined by candlelight? It's amazing how bright it is! The candle flickers and dances around the wick and it gives warmth, and light to the darkness. For me, I need to light these tiny lights. These lights remind me of hope-a God who believes in me and loves me- and the lights encourage me to move forward, rather than being stuck in the mud of despair. Light yourself a candle...

3 Comments:

At 19 June, 2007 21:34 , Blogger B.C. said...

Yessss, you're back. I like this saying, so much so that I even blogged about it some time ago.

It is always so much easier to see the pain and bad stuff, both in our lives and around us, and so I like it because it reminds me that to change the darkness, to light it up, it has to start with me. Cliche yes, truthful, also yes.

One of the ways I connect most with God is through service, through doing good things for people. Every time I do this, it's like another light has been lit, sometimes temporarily, but lit nonetheless. So I have all these little lights of mine, some still to be lit. Time to let them shine yes?

 
At 21 June, 2007 09:30 , Blogger Jono said...

Yes, agree. Even though one candle may at times seem like not much, many candles make much light. And if you can contribute to that light, the this is good. I have often struggled with the fact that if there re many candes, what difference does it make if one is missing? The truth is, not much difference, but if everybody had that attitude, there would be n candles, and it would make a difference. So, always light candles and do goo things, however small, because they all add up to the whole light.
I also like thi saying, since I read it on Ben's blog, which he also had mentioned he wrote baout. Awesome.
Keep posting, posting is good.

 
At 28 May, 2009 05:16 , Blogger morgannr said...

You need to read the book "The Demon-Haunted World:Science as a Candle in the Dark" by Carl Sagan. The book literally changed my life. I do not trust religion and most of all the christian religion. I will never be part of an organization that wants to remove books and free thought from the people it oppresses. Remember, We hungry but the belly full.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home