Monday, June 25, 2007

Easy Christianity 101

I am reading a book at the moment as part of a small group that I help run with my wife. I wont name the book, because I am about to give it a beating! The other night our group was discussing a particular chapter in this nondescript book on "happiness". The author suggests, basically and with excessive simplicity, that the world would be better off if everyone were "church-going-Christians". Now, I am heavily involved with a church community and I realise that while the church, as an institution, does some amazing things within the lives of its people and the lives of local communities, it also struggles quite a lot to live up to the ideals of the one whom they are claiming to follow (Jesus). In fact, Paul in his letter to the Romans, reminds them of his own struggle with his inner self. He says in Romans 7:18-19 For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. I know that there have been times in my life, frequently I might add, when I know within my heart what I should be doing but in fact do the entire opposite. We DO struggle with our own selves. We DO try to live up to our own expectations but often fall short. I get annoyed when faith is overly simplified, faith is incredibly complex, often grey, and is not an easy life by any stretch. It is, however, the most rewarding expression of life giving fullness that I have experienced.

3 Comments:

At 25 June, 2007 12:11 , Blogger B.C. said...

It's really true Simon. To me, I am so imperfect and flawed. I know as a Christian I am not ideal, but I also know neither is anyone else. I get frustrated when people try to appear as 'better' Christians - whether it's because they know more biblical terms, do more in the church, have more friends at church, whichever. Even worse is when I do it. Which I definately do.

It's hard committing yourself to something like this, where you know you will be judged within and outside as well. But like you said, it's the most rewarding expression of life to me as well.

 
At 25 June, 2007 13:30 , Blogger Jono said...

I agree that the whole world would not really benefit if everybody in it were church-going Christians. There are too many flaws with the whole "church" system. I also am not even sure how well the world would function if everybody was a Christian, and that Church was in the middle of society. I don;t think church is, by any means, mneant to be the center of society or of a Christian's life. Bad.

 
At 29 June, 2007 12:43 , Blogger Sime said...

Guys,
For me it's so important to recognise who we are. As you said Ben, we aren't "better" because we call ourselves Christian. It is a lifestyle choice that should pervade all of our being and therefore drastically change our values and way of life. Sadly, this doesn't happen too often (I am guily of this too)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home