Friday, July 11, 2008

Economics & the Way

At the moment I'm involved in some study at my theological college. Yesterday I was at a session in the city where we were discussing Sabbath Economics- put simply the Biblical imperative to rest and renew ourselves including our consumption of goods, services, and products to reinvest our time in relationships and community.
It was so encouraging to be reminded that God encourages an Economy of equality where if someone is in need, others within the community assist. It is an Economy of abundance, rather than scarcity. An Economy that says, "There will always be enough if we share our resources" rather than our current Economy of Capitalism which says, "There are not enough resources to go around, so I'd better hoard for me and me alone."
It's very obvious that the "Way" of Jesus is one that is counter cultural. A Way that embraces community rather than individuality. A Way that encourages grace rather than quid pro quo. A Way that desires wholeness rather than sections of our being. So, for me, the challenge is to try to be an authentic follower of the Way in a culture that embraces the opposite.
Rather than ending on a negative note, I'll head for the encouragement. I've decided, rather early, to become involved in a "Buy Nothing" for Christmas. Rather than buying stuff for people that they don't need, I'll be writing notes to people about how much they've impacted my life and the way that they've been important to me. Hopefully I can commit to this long term...I guess only time will tell.

2 Comments:

At 12 July, 2008 17:06 , Blogger B.C. said...

I've done the heart felt letter before. You received one I think.

In my case, I let that fill some sort of ridiculous imaginary quota of showing people I appreciated them for another year. I let an event (Christmas) be the reason to remind people they mattered to me.

Anyway. I'm off to write some encouragement notes!

 
At 15 July, 2008 11:56 , Blogger Sime said...

Good luck with your notes!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home