Monday, August 27, 2007

Justice Night @ Church

On Friday night, our youth ministry ran a Justice Night which focused on the topic of Body Image and self esteem. I was a little apprehensive about how the night would run, and whether the kids would engage with the conversation topics that I, and my housemate Gab, were going to present. I was so pleased with the vigorous chatter on all of the tables around the church and the wonderfully thoughtful responses that the kids gave when they were asked. The night, whilst it may have been confronting in some ways, was an excellent space for the kids to talk through these issues and see that older people (ie youth leaders) can struggle with these issues too. More importantly it helped to show the kids that it's good to discuss these issues with people who they can trust and rely on. It was such a high for me, as the Youth Minister, because I really felt like the night assisted in building a great deal of trust and rapport with the kids and the leaders.

3 Comments:

At 28 August, 2007 00:16 , Blogger B.C. said...

It sounded so positive too Simon, and it was good to see you putting bigger picture issues out there too. Young people (hah and I sound old) can be so very indepth and personal too, and this is an issue, as with your beauty post, that everybody deals with.

Good work, in all the stuff you do.

Peace

 
At 30 August, 2007 10:50 , Blogger Sime said...

Thanks for the encouragement. Sometimes I feel that we just need to show young people that we stand for something; a positive and beautiful picture of the world.

 
At 03 September, 2007 09:12 , Blogger Jono said...

Yes, I was pleasantly surprised at how well all the youth group guys responded to the whole sit down and discuss mentality that we did some of during this youth group. Good night. I hope we can have some other quality justice nights in the future!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home