Monday, July 30, 2007

Salvation and Suffering

"In bringing many sons to glory, it was fitting that God, for whom and through whom everything exists, should make the author of their salvation perfect through suffering" Hebrews 2:10

"I once thought it better to regret
Things that I have done than haven't
Sometimes you've got to be wrong
And learn the hard way
And just when you're through hanging on...
You're saved"
Repentance, Dream Theater

Ever felt like you're through hanging on? I certainly have. The two paradoxical themes of salvation and suffering meet here in these poems (scriptural and lyrical). Both call us to hang on, when it seems totally useless, pointless, or just too damn hard. Suffering, from my perspective, reminds me that I am alive; feeling hurt; embracing passion and then feeling the pain of disappointment; unfulfilled expectations of self. Don't give up, even though you may be through hanging on to whatever it is your holding, the light is there, a way is opening. An aperture of hope...

6 Comments:

At 31 July, 2007 11:59 , Blogger B.C. said...

I feel pretty through at the moment. I am in a strange state of feeling very much alive and happy, but also very much just hanging on and about to fall into a giant pit.

Very emotive of me haha.

I like this Simon. Peace.

 
At 01 August, 2007 10:38 , Blogger Unknown said...

Learning to live with such Paradox's is part of following Christ...hard aye? Good though!

It was good catching up with your wife at Surrender.

 
At 02 August, 2007 11:52 , Blogger Sime said...

I think that this is one of the hardest things we face as followers of Jesus; suffering and salvation. Hard because I reckon we've been sold the idea that life "should" be "easy". If your life is not that way then you must be doing something wrong. Yet we follow a guy who was marginalised, kicked out of his home town, and eventually killed by the authorities. What kind of fool would follow that? Yet that's our calling...tough...

 
At 02 August, 2007 18:20 , Blogger Kyla said...

I'm so glad Christianity is a religion of paradox. It gives you a lot to explore...

Suffering is such a huge part of life, and of faith. All I can say is that without salvation and redemption I would have given up a long time ago. I love that God helps find the beauty in the pain and that bad situations and suffering are where we learn most about what it means to be free.

I'm so grateful for hope. That we can know that no matter how we feel, we will end up somewhere good. We will end up with God.

Thanks for this blog, Simon! I needed a bit of reminding.

 
At 03 August, 2007 11:18 , Blogger Sime said...

Kyla,
My pleasure. My hope is that people can get something out my my rants and ramblings :)
Sime

 
At 03 August, 2007 11:48 , Blogger Jono said...

Not much to add here, but to say that I liked this blog, and keep up the good work, Simon. These sorts of things get me thinking and remind me of stuff that I would sopmetimes forget. Awesome.
Also, love the dreamtheater lyrics. I am now singing them over and over in my head. By the end of the day I will be sick of them.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home