Friday, August 03, 2007

Why stand on a silent platform?

It's an interesting question to ask yourself. Standing upon a platform in silence. Picture it in your mind. You're on a platform, or a stage, or perhaps behind a pulpit in a church, and you're simply standing there. The audience is waiting for you to speak, and yet you say nothing; you simply stand there silent. Soon the crowd gets a little restless and begins to ask themselves "Why did we bother coming here? This guy's got nothing to say." And yet they still wait, anxious, expectant, hopeful, desperately wanting to hear some words of hope, wisdom, challenge, comfort. But, soon enough they file out, one by one; they realise you've got nothing to say. And you're left there alone, on your platform with nothing to say.

I reckon we have many 'platforms' in our life that we get a chance to stand upon and let our voice be heard. Sometimes, life is so much easier when we are just simply coasting; you know what I'm saying. Life just passes you by and you're just 'living'-not a care in the world. Yet there are times when we get uncomfortable with life, and the things that we experience. Perhaps we see disturbing images from overseas that encourage us to wonder, does the destruction of lives and infrastructure really bring about peace? We may sit in a church congregation and hear sermons about a whole host of topics and feel so challenged at one moment, and then feel lost in the monotony of life once the 'worship' experience is over. Maybe we're moved by the apathetic culture we live in and wonder where is God in all of this consumption, isolation, and fear?

And so, I encourage you to get upon your platform and speak. I don't know what your platform may look like, or how you can use your voice but I'd encourage you to pause, reflect, seek guidance, and then open your vocal chords and speak. Speak love. Speak grace. Speak anger. Speak hope. Speak transformation. Once you've spoke, take the time to listen, and listen hard to the responses of those around you. You have a voice, but so too do the people around you, so give them a little respect and listen (you may just learn something about yourself).

Sorry if I sound angry. I'm not really, I'm just disturbed at the moment, a malcontent if you like.

Peace
Sime

4 Comments:

At 04 August, 2007 14:59 , Blogger B.C. said...

Awesome blog Sime. It's ok to sound a little angry sometimes, especially if it's this sort of anger, which I think is positive. This blog is one of your platforms. Different platforms have different possibilities of connection to people, but all are capable of it.

I have lots of platforms. I use some, use some wrongly, and do not use some at all. I find it so easy to judge others and want them to get on their platforms... when really they probably are, it's just not that obvious to me. But apathy is something I don't often understand and something that frustrates me.

When people say, "I wish I could make a difference...", etc. but then are like, "It's too hard. hard. crap. Too frustrating. Therefore I won't." it makes me so angry.

As unfair as it is - and I know it is unfair - sometimes I wish they don't deserve their time on the platform.

Now I'm the angry one.

Peace.

 
At 06 August, 2007 15:57 , Blogger Sime said...

BC,
I know that it can be frustrating when people seem to make excuses for not being a part of a positive change ("I wish I could make a difference..."). I get the impression that people use this as an excuse not to act at all, and this is killing our attitude to life. I wonder if it's related to our lifestyle at the present which is very individualistic and in many ways selfish. But I've got to hold onto hope though, otherwise I'll sink into anger and depression and I'll be incapable of interpreting the positive spaces in our world, and our community.

 
At 09 August, 2007 10:20 , Blogger Jono said...

Awesome blog, Simon, it has made me think about what platforms I may be passing up the opportunity to speak on. I think we all miss these opportunities, just some miss them more than others.
Yes.

 
At 03 April, 2009 05:55 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Listen to the song "Township Rebellion" by Rage Against the Machine" is that where you got the idea from?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home