Friday, November 02, 2007

Facebook...hmmm

Do you have a Facebook, that brand new craze that is sweeping the Internet? I do. One of my dilemmas about this interesting "social" utility is, who will be on my list of "friends". The other day, a guy from my old high school want me to be added to his 'friends' list. I don't even think we got along in school, and yet, here he is wanting to be added to my list of 'friends'. This is a strange social tool, while it has benefits, I have a feeling that it will eventually degrade into a competition; I have more 'friends' than you.

So, what defines a friend? Has the introduction of these social utilities devalued the word and altered its meaning? I have to admit, that friendship is complicated, enjoyable, confronting, rewarding, and a lot of hard work. Friendships don't happen at the click of a mouse and they take time to mature and grow over time as the journey of life is shared. Facebook is a useful tool, but it cannot replace the realistic contact that I think really needs to be a part of a wholistic relationship. So, it gets a tick from me in some ways, and a big fat cross in others.
Peace

3 Comments:

At 30 November, 2007 14:52 , Blogger B.C. said...

At least... it doesn't have top friends?

Except for those people that get the application for it. That's even worse then.

 
At 31 January, 2008 12:14 , Blogger Sime said...

wow, I only just realised then that you've made a comment. That's cool! I haven't had a comment for months! Maybe I should actually write something and people may comment...

 
At 06 April, 2008 21:58 , Blogger B.C. said...

New blog time fool.

As a wise man once said, "My fellow Americans. As a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball, but tonight I say, we must move forward, not backward, upward not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!” So, Simon, must your blog.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home